Director of Business Development
Think Rubix is a social innovation consultancy. We help entrepreneurs, leaders, and decision-makers harness the transformative power of culture.
What is Social Innovation
Social Innovation is organizing businesses, nonprofits, and governments to address complex social challenges at their roots in order to create systems of equity and improve the quality of culture.
How Does TR Work?
Think Rubix is a social innovation consultancy. We work with nonprofits, businesses, and governments to create collaborative solutions to systemic inequity. We advance authentic storytelling, policy-making, and political strategies. We engage in systems change to better culture. We organize people.
At its core, Think Rubix practices change. Change management. Systems change. Culture Change. To construct changemaking strategies, Think Rubix uses a suite of tools housed across three interdisciplinary studios: the Engagement studio; the Equity Innovation studio; and the Storytelling studio. We’re built for the impossible. We make problem-solving simple.
The Director of Business Development & Business Operations will be responsible for directing the firm’s day-to-day operations, and business development process. The incumbent will ensure outstanding client experience and success, leading sales and marketing efforts including proposal management. The incumbent will work closely with the executive team (VP & Principals) to support firm culture, execute business strategies, and direct business policies and procedures.
To ensure success you should have a clear understanding of our Firm’s core values, particularly the social innovation framework. The candidate should know Think Rubix intimately and be well equipped to pitch and promote Think Rubix. Top candidates will be exemplary leaders, have superb business acumen and have solid understanding of business development and business operations.
- Build market awareness of Think Rubix services offerings, capabilities, and credentials.
- Responsible for developing the framework and strategic direction to enter new markets, sell new products, and develop our lines of business.
- Lead proposal management, including having subject matter expertise in all Think Rubix service offerings to be a lead technical writer for proposals.
- Work with Think Rubix studio heads and external business partners to drive new opportunities in target accounts within assigned industries.
- Primary lead to grow the firm's footprint and bottom line, including end-to-end deal-making to secure new clients for the firm.
- Educate and develop Think Rubix staff, studio heads, and clients on how Think Rubix portfolio of offerings help address client needs or solve client issues with storytelling, equity innovation, and stakeholder engagement.
- Bring focus, energy, and go-to-market skills to help our firm win more business, close cycle times, and improve our overall win rate.
- Manage communication, approvals and workflow with larger team and ongoing strategy for all client projects
- Manage multiple projects at once, creating workflow for internal and external team being mindful of overlap, capacity and prioritization for all client projects
- Manage the allocation resources - both staff time and money - to ensure budgets and timelines are kept up to date, managed responsibly according to the organization’s goals
- Ensure strategy and production of work products are aligned.
- Schedule and convene all-staff meetings
- Develop statements of work for complicated engagements
- Experience working with a team of consultants with varying stakes, and perspectives.
- Experience managing aspects of project production, including timelines, sizable budgets and resourcing on accelerated timelines.
- Experience managing staff and/or multiple teams of staff
- Experience managing a complex enterprise's human resources, finances, operations and strategies.
- Proven track record of managing complex budgets successfully.
- Demonstrated experience of ethical leadership.
- Intuition for who needs to weigh in on what and when.
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, and experience working with staff on all levels.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build relationships internally and with prospective client contacts and partners.
- Ability to close deals with support from management.
- Experience managing human resources and payroll.
- Bachelor’s degree in field relevant to marketing, digital technology, organization management/development/leadership, business, business administration
- Master’s degree in field relevant to business administration or marketing
- Background in lean modeling/methodologies
- Previous experience in social innovation, social impact workspaces
- Certificate or other credential in social equity a plus
- Entrepreneurial experience
- Experience building out schedules of fees and pricing schemes
- Experience with proposal software use for proposal generation
- Experience pitching to prospective clients/stakeholders
Compensation includes a competitive salary based on experience and a benefits package that includes health care, paid holidays and vacation, and a generous remote work policy.
*People of color, women, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.*